This week is bananas.
In exactly three days, Justin & I will be hopping on a plane Las Vegas bound for the annual WPPI Convention where (for those of you who aren’t photographers and don’t know) somewhere around 15,000 photographers will descend upon the MGM Grand for a week of learning & let’s face it….a moderate amount of debauchery. Justin & I will be speaking on the next to last day of the conference, and so right about now we are scrambling to get everything in place and ready to go. And it occurred to me as we’ve been spinning ourselves in circles trying to get everything done, that there are a few things that, no matter how early we start preparing (it was November for us this year!), I always end up feeling right about now…
* Every single year, for at least two months leading up to WPPI I get a pit in my stomach and get really, really nervous to go. So as you might imagine, right about now I’m in pull the covers over my head and hide there until next year mode.
* I never, ever know what to wear. And it’s right about now I decide that I hate EVERYTHING in my closet. So each year I try to buy my way into some confidence by getting at least a few things that are new. Which means for the next three days, my shopping schedule will be about as intense as my talk practicing schedule. But y’know, way more pricey.
* I’m afraid I won’t know where the party’s at. Honestly, I’m never the one to know all the insider info on where & when the parties are and I always end up finding out about them at the very last minute. So each year, I have these visions of myself beat boxing alone in our hotel room. Maybe this year I’ll just bring a disco ball with me and call it a night.
* My swagger’s on the fritz. Whatever it is about the combination of photographers & Vegas, you see the swagger come out. Honestly, sometimes I half expect people to be walking in slow motion with a fan blowing their hair around. They are just that good at the swagger. And I….am swagger challenged. So when you see me, please don’t judge me if I’m just walking at a normal speed. Sans fan.
* I have actual legit nightmares about our room being empty. Or that I completely forgot to write the talk. Or that they change the schedule and make us go at 7am on the very first day. And I’m still in my pajamas. In the dream, I always at least get up there & try to make a go of it. To an empty room, with no talk, while in my pajamas. And I’ll just let you guess how well that goes. But I guess, if nothing else…at least I get brownie points for tenacity.
All of this to say, if you see us in Vegas and I’m standing all by myself please come up and say hi. And I promise to do the same. That way, we’ll all be where the party’s at. Justin & I have carved out a few different blocks of time throughout the conference to host some random, spontaneous meet ups so we can get to hang out with you guys more one on one. We’re going to be shouting them out on Twitter like “hey, meet up in 1 hour outside the food court Starbucks….be there or be square!” :) so make sure you’re following us if you want in. We’d love to see you there! (**HUGE thanks to our friend Spring Smith for the awesome idea and keeping us focused on what matters!!)
In other awesome news that makes me want to hold a little dance party by myself, Justin & I were just featured in the Wedding & Portrait Issue of Shutterbug Magazine in an article all about marketing your wedding photography business. When we got our copy, I’m not gonna lie…there was definitely a little beat boxing going on!