As promised, here is the breakdown of how we spent our time & money on our two-day, $500 budget Guest Bedroom makeover.
Soo….since we weren’t working with much of either time or money, we knew right off the bat we were going to have to work with what we had as much as possible and maximize our two most important resources: hard work and a little bit of ingenuity. The first thing we immediately thought of was repurposing this old black dresser that we had found on the side of the road a few years ago. We had been using it in our old apartment to hold things like dvd’s and printer paper in the office, but for the past few months it had just been sitting in the basement gathering dust. As you can see here.
To be honest with you, I was a little skeptical that there was enough white paint in the entire world to cover up this old finish and not have it streak through. But… Justin was determined. So I stood by my man. :) The first step was a nice rough sanding to help chip off some of the old paint and to give the primer something to stick to.
Then it was prime time. Oh, I am SO witty.
After the first layer of priming, there was another round of sanding. This time with a 400 grit sandpaper for a finer finish. Then the first layer of paint. Followed by another round of sanding. Before we finally finished with our second coat. And much to my shock & awe you couldn’t see any of the black paint coming through at all. I think that was in HUGE part due to the type of paint we used: Benjamin Moore Premium Interior Super White Semi-Gloss finish. That stuff could seriously patch pot holes! It’s amazing!
So we already had the dresser and we had already purchased the paint for the painter to use on the trim in the house….so far $0 spent. We just had to go out and buy some new hardware for the dresser, which we found on sale at Home Depot for $2 a handle. That brings our running total so far up to $32.
The next step, and the step that took by far the most of our time, was the wainscoting. Typically, I’m a “hire the experts and trust them to do the job” kind of girl. But to keep ourselves in budget, we knew we were going to have to sacrifice the time it took us to do it ourselves for the money that it saved us. So with about $100 in materials and some free “DIY wainscoting” videos online, we were ready to go! All in all, it took us about 12 hours or so to put it up….a task made so much longer by the fact that there isn’t a straight wall to be found in our circa 1880s house. Shoot me.
So with $100 in wainscoting materials, that brings our total up to $132. You can see more of the wainscoting below.
Once the chair rail on the wainscoting went up, the room really started to come together. Now it was time to move in the dresser and the bed. Another place where we had to make a hard budget decision was with the bed. We definitely want to get a new Pottery Barn-esque white slat bed frame for the guest room. But even the cheaper knock offs from Ikea were going to break, or at least really really stretch the budget. There was a really cheap one on sale at Ikea for $99, but we decided we would rather just wait and save up the money for the one we really wanted than spend any amount of money on something we weren’t really loving. So we opted for no new bed frame for now, and saved ourselves $99 of impulse buy.
To make up for the lack of bed frame, we did quadruple stacked pillows to give a head board effect. I actually already had three extra sets of the standard pillows (I know…I’m obsessed!) so those were free. We only had to buy the two button throw pillows ($29 each at Pottery Barn) and a cheap $12 (Walmart!) white bed skirt to cover up the box springs. I also already had the yellow and white duvet sets, so we only had to buy the red one ($20 at Ikea) and the yellow blanket (Pottery Barn $49). Finally, we added in the two night stands ($50 each from Ikea) and sail cloth-esque curtains ($20 each set from Ikea) to finish things off. We reused the curtain rods that the previous owner left behind, so that didn’t cost us a thing! :)
That brings our running total up to $411.
The next thing we wanted to do was tie in the dresser to the rest of the room. We actually already had the antique books, two clocks and leatherhead helmet from our old apartment. But we had never used them together. They had been in the dining room, living room and office respectively. The only thing we added here was this vintage catcher’s mit that we got at our favorite antique store ($40). We also bought the lamp for the side of the dresser (Barometer at Ikea $50) to add a little extra light).
Running total: $501
Finally, we finished off the room with this mirror we already had (Free!!) and these antique nautical hooks ($5!!) from that same antique store. We also picked up some Pottery Barn lanterns, candles and starfish, which we used our Michelle & Rob gift card for (Free!!)
Final Total: $506 plus the help of repurposing stuff we already had and super thoughtful gift cards.
Total Time: Two Work Days, plus a half day of shopping
Finished Product to go from this…..
….to this. Priceless! :)