As Justin & I have been getting ready to launch Spread the Love this month, we’ve been thinking a lot about what exactly the “Good Life” is for us and what it means to really LIVE like that. And time after time, we keep coming back to one answer:
We are a work in progress.
You see, everything that we’re going to talk about is something that we either have dealt with -or are right in the muck of dealing with- ourselves. Believe me, we’ve been there. And, we’re right there in the trenches with you. We’ve been the us that’s stared at a computer screen so long that we’ve forgotten what the other one looks like. The us that’s worked from morning til night…too busy to change out of our pajamas, so we just fall back into bed too exhausted to care. The us that totally skips lunch and doesn’t get around to eating dinner until midnight…when the only logical choice is, of course, Cheerios.
And what we’ve found…what we are finding… is that it’s all connected. As it goes with your life, your relationships, your health, your finances…so it goes with your business. And anyone who thinks that they can focus on just one without all the others …is fooling themselves. Believe me, take it from a FOOL who knows.
The only thing that will get you is a life that is shaped around building your business…when really shouldn’t it be the other way around?
So here’s the challenge: for the next 10 days, pick three (or more!!) things from the list below and DO them!! Leave a comment NOW telling us which ones you’re going to do and then in 10 days (on the 26th) come back and tell us how you did. And the person that we think had the most success is going to win a free seat to the Spread the Love Workshop of their choice (or if there’s not going to be one in your area/you can’t come… an equally “hey that’s not too shabby” gift to be determined!).
1. Go through one whole day of your life with your iPhone/Blackberry turned off. (OOOH! Came out swinging!)
2. Take a shower and go through the WHOLE process of getting ready (put on REAL clothes) without once stopping to check email, answer the phone, or otherwise multitask in any way.
3. Run/walk fast for 20 mins a day for 5 days straight.
4. Spend 1/2 hour straight of uninterrupted time curled up with a good (non-business!) book and a good cup of tea.
5. Sign up for “keep the change” savings or some other AUTOMATED savings account
6. Get 8 hrs of sleep, three nights in a row. (Preferably waking up and going to bed at the same time).
7. For just one night, go to bed in a peaceful environment: tv off, clean sheets, cool room, no clutter
8. Do yoga/stretching one night before bed
9. Start the day with 25 crunches
10. Pay $50 extra to one credit card
11. Call up a friend from the past you haven’t talked to in more than a year
12. Call up a parent or grandparent and talk until THEY say they have to get off the phone (this is a BIG one for me!)
13. Write a handwritten letter to the most important person in your life and tell them that.
14. Grab lunch with a group of friends: agree that cell phones, to-do lists, or anything else that would distract any of you from being present are strictly forbidden
15. Cook a real dinner and ENJOY it like you’re on the Food Network: grab your favorite person, pour a glass of wine, cook with fresh yummy ingredients like basil and garlic that make you feel all professional and like you ACTUALLY know what you’re doing, put on some John Legend and linger!
16. Start the day with one half hour of quiet. Just find time to be you again
17. For five days straight, make the time to wash your face, brush AND floss your teeth, put on real pajamas that MATCH, and go to bed BEFORE you fall asleep on the couch. It’s not that comfortable anyway.
18. Take a drive: forget about how much it’s costing you in gas, don’t have a destination, errands are absolutely forbidden. Just drive.
19. Cook one meal with a crock pot: this one’s for our personal assistant, Jennifer, who actually talked us into taking this wedding present OUT of the box and using it! Home cooked meal AND a free evening….how ’bout that!?
20. Even if you work from home, for one day get dressed up all office chic (note, not The Office chic…because, well. they’re not that chic!)
21. Clean your WHOLE house…make it smell like Pine Sol. You won’t believe how much better you’ll feel.
22. For one week, take a whole hour for lunch. No work allowed. Get out of the house if you want to. Or just watch Law & Order on TNT.
23. Sit in Barnes & Noble with a coffee and a stack of magazines…they’re free if you read them there! :)
24. For one week, recycle your junk mail the second you get it.
25. Sit and pet the family pet for half an hour..they need lovin’ too.
So c’mon….who’s up for a challenge?