One of the things that happens when we’re traveling, is that we get to try a lot of new restaurants and grab dinner with some pretty awesome people. Which we LOVE!
But every time we do, there is this conversation that we have to have that goes a little something like this. We ask them for recommendations since they are local to the area, and then they ask what kind of food we like. We say pretty much everything, and then almost without fail the very first thing they say is, “Oh well there’s this great burger place!”
And right about then is when my face goes all “wah, wah, wah, JUST KIDDING!” You see, I guess by “everything” I mean pretty much any genre of food as long as there are some no-meat options available.
Now this is where it gets tricky.
Because the next thing they say is, “Oh so you are a vegetarian?” And that’s when my response is, “Welllllll… more like a Pretend-atarian.”
You see, 95% of the time, I stick to veggies, pasta & fish. Which I guess would actually make me a “pescatarian.” Well y’know, EXCEPT for that other 5%.
Because for me, I take a firm stance that I will never ever EVER eat meat under any circumstances…..unless one of the following conditions apply. :)
1. The baked striata at our favorite brunch restaurant, Atticus. It has a layer of sausage in it, which I just pretend is totally counteracted by all the sundried tomatoes in it. Totally.
2. Thanksgiving turkey, obviously. And let’s not forget Christmas, Easter & Secretary’s Day while we’re at.
3. Bacon. Yea, that’s all….bacon.
4. It’s 1am and we’re coming home from a wedding and going through the Wendy’s drive thru. If we’re already going to Wendy’s, we may as well be bad all the way. If you’re going to fall, fall HARD baby!
5. Pepperoni pizza. I have this theory that once it’s made it that far in the process it’s not really meat anymore anyway. Loophole!
So here’s to me & my enviable will-power and commitment (except not at all). And seriously, if you’re one of those people who can stick to it being a full-fledged vegetarian, I want you to know I have MAD respect for that! You are way stronger than I am!